About

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Walgreens run 8/22....and a vent

So...I did all my shopping trips each on their own post for this reason right here. I needed a whole post to write about my Walgreen's run...and VENT about my trip. If you just want to see the shopping trip, just scroll to the bottom :) My vent will probably be a book :)

I will start by saying, I stopped going to the Walgreen's store I am about to vent about months ago because of their HORRIBLE customer service. I had terrible customer service on just about EVERY trip I ever made there. I have been drug store couponing since Black Friday 2010 so that was at least 20 bad trips before I finally just stopped going there. I complained to corporate a few months back and talked to a very nice manager, but that never changed the service I got from the employees.

Now, I am not an extreme couponer. I get 1 paper each Sunday and I have 1 computer to print from. (We have a laptop also but it's not set up) I do get coupons mailed to me sometimes from friends or "train buddies" but it still is never enough to be considered one of "those" people. (I say "those" people, because it seems like most people think anyone who comes in with coupons is trying to get on Extreme Couponing or something) Therefore, I can never go into a store and purchase 50 of something or clear a shelf. But, that is the way I was treated EACH AND EVERY TIME I went into this Walgreen's store. I stopped going to this store around the time Extreme Couponing came out, because it got worse. They acted as though any person that came in and used a coupon was trying to rip them off.

I decided to start going to a different Walgreen's that was the same distance away from my house, just in the opposite direction. This store is AWESOME. The cashiers are super friendly, super helpful and always in a good mood. I know that they have "extreme couponers" that come in because I have talked about it with them. But, even with the rudeness "extreme couponing" can bring, the staff is awesome.

Now...my vent. I decided to go to the "horrible" store yesterday because I needed to go to Kroger also and it was right across the street. There were a few deals I wanted to take advantage of & needed to do 2 transactions. There is a Walgreen's coupon that was in the paper a few weeks ago for $2.00 off any Revlon cosmetic. I did not have this coupon, but I knew the code they could type in for it. I asked an employee on the floor if it would be okay if I just gave the code since I didn't have the coupon and she said "Sure. If the code doesn't match the items it wouldn't work"

I get up to the register and tell the cashier I need to do 2 transactions because I had a Revlon Register Reward from last week and I didn't think I would get the $3.00 Register Reward for the Revlon deal this week if I used it toward my Revlon transaction. She said okay. We ring up my 1st transaction - 4 degree deodorants, Colgate toothpaste, 2 cow tails and a thing of pringles. She scans my coupons, register rewards and I pay. I receive back 2 $4.00 register rewards for this transaction.

Now time for transaction 2 - I get 4 Revlon eye shadows and 4 Revlon mascaras. I tell her there is a Walgreen's coupon that I would like to use but I don't have it with it. I explain to her that someone on the floor said I could just give her the code and she could enter it. She tells me "No" very rudely and rolling her eyes. I told her again that I had already asked someone was there anyway she could ask her about it. She told me she didn't know how to do it and therefore wouldn't. We went back and forth 3 times, repeating ourselves each time. I finally asked if there was a manager that could maybe come up and I could explain to them. By this time there was a long line..probably 8 people deep. The manager comes over and I explain it to him and he asks what the code is. I give it to him, he enters it, and ask the cashier "that was all?" like it was no big deal and something she should have been able to do.

She then attempts to scan my 2 $4.00 register rewards that I received in the 1st transaction. I tell her I didn't want to use those but I did have 8 manufacturer coupons. She huffs, rolls her eyes again and takes my manufacturer coupons. I have 8 $1.00 coupons total - all are the same coupon (different picture on the coupon...but same bar code number) She scans 3 coupons and then tells me the computer won't accept anymore. I explain to her that they are all the same coupon and should be accepted just fine. She tells me again that the computer won't take them & there is nothing she can do. I explained to her that that is not possible. I had 8 items...4 eye shadows and 4 of the same mascaras. Even if the coupon didn't match some of the items it should AT LEAST take 4 because there are 4 exact same items. She tells me again that it won't accept it and she can't do anything. She then, again, scans my 2 $4.00 register rewards from transaction 1. I explain, again, that I do not want to use those on this transaction, I wanted to use my 8 $1.00 coupons. She very rudely, tells me there is nothing she can do and gives me my total. I ask to speak to the manager again, because I know all the coupons should work. She instead stands there and reads the fine print on the coupon. She tells me to read the coupon & then asks me if I see where it says "one coupon per purchase" SIIIGHHHHH..this is the most annoying thing to me about cashiers and coupons. I explain to her that I am making 8 purchases but 1 transaction. I am using 1 coupon per purchase. She tells me no, that she is already breaking the rules by letting me use 3 coupons & if I wanted to use the rest I needed to do them all in separate transactions. I seriously explained the "per purchase" and "per transaction" wording to her 3 more times & she still wouldn't listen or accept what I was saying. I asked her if she would like to see a coupon that said "one per purchase - 4 per transaction" (P&G coupons) and she told me she didn't need to. At this point there was a line behind me again and she rudely told everyone in line that they needed to find somewhere else to check out because I was causing a problem and she couldn't help them anytime soon.

The manager was ringing customers out at a different register so finally, she decided to go ask him for help. I hear her talking to him telling him that the coupon says 1 per purchase and I am trying to use 8. She also tells him that only 3 scan and that I am trying to do something wrong by making her take 8. The manager finishes up with the customer he was working with and comes over. He asked me what was wrong and I explained...same coupon - same items..but she was saying it wouldn't accept them. He scans one of the coupons...AND IT GOES THROUGH NO PROBLEM. He scans the other 4 and they all scan right through. He tells the cashier that they all were accepted & she must have been scanning the wrong bar code.

I finally pay. She gives me my receipt and starts helping the next person right away without saying "sorry" "thanks" "have a good night" NOTHING. I was supposed to get a $3.00 RR when I purchased $10.00 in Revlon makeup. It didn't print. I tell her I didn't receive the $3.00 Register Reward for spending $10.00 and she goes "Nope, you didn't. Oh well" I was FURIOUS at this point, so I just left.

I went to my normal Walgreen's and went in and talked to the manager. Of course, like always, she was super friendly and printed my Register Reward for me without any issue. I also exchanged the original mascara I purchased because it didn't ring up 40% off. But...I just realized that the I didn't get my Walgreen's coupon store credit also...sighhh.

If I was new to couponing...the cashier at my first store would have made me cry & would have probably made me want to give up on couponing. I don't know why some cashier's are SO MEAN to people that use coupons. Yes, there are people that use coupons wrong. Yes, there are shelf clearer's. Not every person though that uses a coupon is out to cheat the system & I think some people need to learn that.



OOP: $8.48 with $11.00 in Register Rewards
Savings of: $62.75

Receive a $4.00 RR when you purchase 4
4 Degree deodorants $2.00 each
 -used 3 $1.00 coupons from the Sunday paper
 -used 1 .75 coupon from the Sunday paper

Receive $4.00 rr when you purchase 1 Colgate Pro Relief
Colgate Sensitive Pro Relief $4.99
 -used $1.50 coupon from a home mailer

Receive $3.00 RR when you purchase $10.00 in Revlon cosmetics
4 Revlon eye shadows $2.99 each
 -used 4 $1.00 coupons from the Sunday paper
4 Revlon Mascaras $4.19 each
 -used 4 $1.00 coupons from the Sunday paper
**The Walgreen's code I used also took $2.00 off each item

Dr. Pepper $1.25 with in ad coupon
2 cow tails $.39 each
Pringles $.99

 -used $6.50 (I think?) in Register Rewards

3 comments:

Don't that just make you mad. I so know what you are talking about. I have one lady and GE that will not even look at me or make ideal chit chat. I think she is just miserable. She makes you feel like you are doing something wrong......so now when I see her working I do not go in that line. This morning she was the only one working, but they were out of Peanut butter.....so I didn't have to buy anything. I thought when I saw her......OH! This is going to be fun!!! haha I love going to the rite aid in my neighborhood.....they are always so friendly. Some people are just not meant to work in customer service!

I totally agree. I don't know what it is about the Walgreen's but my goodness it is terrible. It's funny though because no matter what CVS I go into the cashiers are ALWAYS super friendly.
I'm also jealous you have a rite aid close:) I have one 20 mins away, but since I have Walgreen's and CVS it's not worth the drive :(

I never shop at Walgreens anymore because I ALWAYS had a problem EVERY time I went there, so I just gave up. And I'm like you, I don't do "Extreme" couponing. I get enough for my family (maybe 2-4 of an item) and that's it.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More